National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
6 Simple Ways to Get Out of Depression
There are days when you feel extremely depressed and apparently there is no obvious reason for it. You feel lethargic and cranky. You find reasons to pick a fight with your friends, colleagues, boyfriend, husband, siblings, or anyone who’s around you at that time. Now you’re thinking what the reason behind your mood could be. You have a constant struggle inside your head. You know it’s not due to PMS (premenstrual syndrome), it’s not because of anything anyone has said or done, it’s not the weather; in other words you are overreacting for nothing! But just relax! It happens with everyone. You don’t have to feel guilty about it. You can’t be running around and feeling high all the time. There are times when your energy level is just not high and you need a break. Whenever you are in such a mood, you need to realize that your mind and body require a break at this time. So, in order to get out of this depression (which has no reason or ever if there is) you need to take one or more of the following simple steps which will enlighten your mood instantly.
- Take a long hot bath as it will relax your body and soothe your mind and try not to think about anything;
- Have a piece of chocolate as it will give you an energy boost instantly;
- If its day time and it’s a sunny day then make sure you go outside and sit under the sun for at least 5-10 minutes (sunlight releases a chemical in your brain called “serotonin” which elevates mood);
- If you enjoy cooking then invite some friend over whose company you like and cook your favorite meal or else plan to go out with your friends
- If you’re not in the mood to have anyone around you, then go out to your gym if not, then simply go for a long walk; it really clears your head and relaxes you.
- Last but not the least, do whatever makes you feel good. It’s your time. Pamper yourself. Watch a comedy movie or listen to your favorite piece of music.
While you were reading the above mentioned steps to get out of depression you must be thinking why would anyone actually do any one of these things when he/she is not in the mood to do anything? Well, the answer for this is simple. You have to do something to feel good otherwise you’ll sit around in a depressed mood making it even worse as the time goes by and you might also ruin your relationship with your loved ones or your job could also be affected.